Park Rules – Town of Medway
The rules of the dog park (pdf and below) are provided by the Town of Medway, and administered by the authority of the Medway/Millis Animal Control Officer. If you have questions about the rules, please contact the Animal Control Officer.
Please read the rules and keep a copy for your records. The rules must be adhered to in order to maintain your, and your dog’s, good standing as dog park denizens.
FAQs that aren’t answered in the town’s rules
Is water available at the park for the dogs?
No, there is no running water at the park. You can bring your own bottle or jug; stainless steel water bowls are provided, so you don’t need to bring a bowl. Be aware all the dogs happily share water with each other, so generally it’s not possible to keep other dogs from drinking “your dog’s” water; don’t expect to.
Who maintains the Medway Dog Park Park?
The dog park is under the purview of the Medway Parks Commission. The Parks Department empty the trash barrels; in the summer mow the small areas of grass; and in the winter plow the Village St. parking lot. Other than that, dog owners and volunteers take responsibility for park maintenance – moving barrows-full of wood chips to needed areas and raking them out; cleaning up after their own dogs (and picking up other leavings if another owner did not do so, is a good park service); using the park’s rakes to fill in holes that the dogs like to dig; and so on.
What are the dog park hours of operation?
The park is open at 6:30 a.m. on weekdays, and closes at dusk or 8:00 p.m., whichever is EARLIER.
The park opens at 8:00 a.m. on weekends and holidays, and closes at dusk or 8:00 p.m., whichever is EARLIER.
I’d like to volunteer/offer a suggestion/ask a question not addressed here.
Please contact us at email@example.com. We welcome your help and your input!
Rules of the Park
- Use of the dog park is a privilege.
- The rules are designed for the safety of all park users, safety of the general public, and neighborhood well being. There are no exceptions. If you cannot abide by the rules, you will have your privileges revoked.
- The etiquette published here is based on common sense for responsible pet owners. If you are unable to follow good etiquette and common courtesy, you should consider other options for your pet.
- This is truly not a place for children. You cannot supervise children and dogs at the same time in this type of environment. Dogs are not welcome in child playgrounds and children are not welcome here.
Rules of the Park
- Owners MUST report ALL bites & scratches to the Medway Animal Control Officer as required by STATE LAW.
- Owners are legally and financially responsible for any damage caused by their dogs to another person, dog or park property.
- Owners MUST obey posted park hours.
- You enter the Dog Park at your own risk.
- NO tree climbing allowed in Park.
- Children under 12 years of age should not be in the Park for their health and safety. Those children entering MUST be closely supervised.
- Limit of 3 dogs and/or children per person, per visit.
- Owners MUST clean up after their dogs.
- Dogs with a known history of dangerous/ aggressive behavior are PROHIBITED.
- Dogs MUST wear collars with identification AT ALL TIMES.
- Puppies under 4 months of age are PROHIBITED.
- Dogs MUST be spayed or neutered.
- Dogs must have current town licenses (regardless of what town you live in) and be up-to-date on vaccinations, particularly rabies.
- Leaving dogs unattended is PROHIBITED.
- Person in control of dog(s) MUST carry a leash for each dog at all times.
- Aggressive OWNERS and DOGS WILL BE asked to leave the park permanently.
- Any “Bull” Terriers or “Bull” terrier mixes MUST wear a muzzle, per Medway Town Bylaws.
VIOLATORS OF ANY OF THE PARK RULES WILL HAVE THEIR PERMITS PERMANENTLY REVOKED.
Dog Park Etiquette
- Keep your dog(s) leashed until you are inside the dog park.
- DO NOT let your dog(s) rush the gates when another dog is entering.
- NO food, drink (except water) or smoking allowed in Dog Park.
- NO profanity directed at another person is allowed.
- Do not allow your dog(s) to jump on people.
- Be considerate and courteous to Dog Park neighbors and their property.
- Park only in the Dog Park lot or in appropriate parking spaces along Cottage Street.
- Be aware of your dog’s actions while using the Dog Park.