For over a decade the Board of the Friends of Medway Dog Park has supported the Park. Without the Friends, the park’s management would fall under the jurisdiction of the Medway Parks Dept. and the Medway Animal Control Officer. This represents an extra burden on these entities, which could lead to the closing of the park entirely.
In order to keep Friends of Medway Dog Park’s non-profit standing, four board members are needed, in accordance with the park bylaws. The responsibilities which need to be continued are:
- Order wood chips as needed
- Keep poop bag stations filled (currently fulfilled by a member)
- Organize membership and fundraising drives[s] (generally one or two per year)
- Organize clean up days (usually two times a year)
- Website updates, email list management
- Handling of funds, file non-profit status report once a year
- Occasional dog park meetings (1-2 hours each, for reporting of funds usage, organizing membership drives etc. – as needed, usually no more than a couple of times a year)
The above duties can be divided amongst the four positions as desired/appropriate. Up to now, the President has been the liaison between the Medway Parks Department and the Dog Park; the Treasurer has handled the funds; the Vice-President built the Park’s website, and kept it and the email database updated; the Secretary kept meeting minutes.
Currently two members have expressed willingness to fulfill some of these duties, but more volunteers are needed to step up! With four people sharing the tasks and patrons volunteering to help out, these are not hard or time consuming jobs. Please help insure that our park stays open by becoming a board member.
If you’re interested in filling one of these positions or have questions about the responsibilities, contact the Board via the contact form OR call Judy Moffatt, current President. Leave a message at 508-533-4496, and she will get back to you as soon as possible.
The current Board of the Friends of the Medway Dog Park:
Judy Moffatt, Kim Taverna, Nancy Murdock, Gurukarm Khalsa
The Friends of the Medway Dog Park Board members (President: Judy Moffatt; Vice President: Nancy Murdock; Treasurer: Kim Taverna; and Secretary [not currently filled]) have served for the last five years, and are now stepping down as of November 1st.
In order to keep our non-profit status, the above four positions must be filled, according to the park by-laws.
We are currently looking for civic-minded individuals who would like to be board members. The existing officers will be more than happy to assist the new board in learning the necessary duties and tasks.
Interested parties should email firstname.lastname@example.org with your preferred position by September 15th. An election will be held on October 15th.
We’ve enjoyed serving you and your dogs. During our terms, some of the things we have accomplished are these:
- built a shed to store seasonal tools, poop bags, and items for fund raising events
- developed and run the annual King Fido’s Faire fundraiser for four years
- instituted membership cards with discounts at area businesses
- bought a new picnic table, tools, poop picker-uppers, bags, and toys
- designed a new dog park logo, and incorporated it onto merchandise.
(Items are available for purchase through our web site)
- built an informational web site
- compiled a mailing list of members
- sent newsletters to our membership
- recruited a tree service which supplies the park with fresh wood chips
- recruited a landscaper who limes and trims the park every year
Many of these items will be easy to continue; and we would look forward to new ideas that you may bring to our park as well. A lot has been put in place – now we need a new board to keep the ball rolling. We hope you will consider serving.
If you have any questions about the positions or the tasks they fulfill, please email us at email@example.com.
Did you know?
The Medway Dog Park King Fido’s Faire is our biggest fund-raiser of the year. While the park is town owned, no money or materials are provided. The Faire funds park needs such as the poop bags, tools, and more.
BUT! It needs your help in order to take place! This year, volunteers are needed to help put together the Faire, in these areas:
- Orchestrate the event (we will guide you)
- Canvas businesses for raffle basket donations
- Contact vendors, mail contracts, collect money
- Put raffle baskets together
- Advertise the event
- Sell raffle tickets & membership cards, as well as give information on the day of the event.
You and your dog love the park; help keep the park open; help make King Fido’s Faire happen!
If you’d like to volunteer, contact us here, or call 508-254-0444 for more information on how you can help.
Tomorrow, Saturday July 13, from 8:30-11:30 a.m., a membership drive is taking place at the dog park with raffles and member cards available.
Help out by donating $15 to the park. Funds are used to buy items such as poop bags (approx. $600 per year), toys, and tools.
Check out our sponsors and see the card-holder benefits you’ll get!
We’ll have a raffle bag filled with goodies; tickets are $1 each or six for $5. Receive 5 FREE raffle tickets along with your member card!
Remember, every dollar helps keep your dog park open and functioning smoothly!!
See you at the park!
Welcome to the new Medway Dog Park website. Please take a look around, and let us know what you think. We welcome suggestions, ideas, and donations!